Thursday 11 July 2013

Going Places - Part Two

Pushing further and further out, both Kelly and I search for the first thermal that will allow us to climb out and begin the planned westward open distance run parallel to the ridge line.

In the midst of this initial hunt, I failed to realize that the distance between us was ever so gradually decreasing, until I was almost within 30 meters of Kelly. It is when he begins a right hand turn, in what I suspect is the beginnings of lift, that I notice we are too close and veer off aggressively to the right as well.

A chiding on the radio quickly follows. Flying in formation, hunting for lift is something I never did before this course, so my understanding of gaggle etiquette was somewhat lacking, to say the least. Mental note is made to follow up on proper positioning and distance under these circumstances.

My movement to avoid a conflict with Kelly drives me directly into the lift that he was moving towards. I lean in and progressively apply inside brake. As the wing begins to dive into the turn, a light amount of outside brake is applied to plane the wing out.

And so begins the thermal dance.

Working progressively into the core of the thermal, I climb up to join two other wings that had launched previously. Kelly is not far behind, climbing in a much more efficient and organized manner than I can manage at this point. Behind him is Olle, who has launched in the midst of the search by Kelly and I. Rounding out our XC quartet is Magnus.

Kelly quickly passes me in the climb while I am being hounded by a red Nova that can't seem to make neither heads nor tails of the thermal layout. On two occasions I manage to cut inside the Nova and climb five meters above, only to fall out on the other side. The fact that I am even attempting this is a very good sign, as it means Kelly's focus on efficiency in the climb are beginning to take root with my flying style.

I continue my climb towards a newly forming cloud when I hear mention from Kelly to Olle on the radio to look at continuing to the next ridge. I continue for another few turns, feeling the air go cold as I work through the inversion.

A few extra turns and I begin moving westward along the ridge. Something strikes me as odd that Kelly would continue in this direction as the conditions can only strengthen and become increasingly spicy on the ridge. Maybe he meant a different ridge, I wonder.

The radio chirps, "Mark, I am on you left, on your left."

A quick turn left, followed by

"Mark, I am on your right, on your right."

I can envision both Kelly and Olle right above me, having a good laugh at my expense. Then I spot them to the south, attempting to climb above a factory over Romano.

I begin my drive towards them...

No comments:

Post a Comment