Wednesday 4 January 2017

Valle de Bravo with the Gin Explorer: Part 10

Note: The FlyinOrange has moved to: flyinorange.blog

Continued from Part 9.

Day 4:

Geared up, about to lay the wing out. A sudden wave of nausea. It was inevitable that the side effects of the meds would catch up with me at some point and it appears today will be that day. As I drop my helmet and goggles onto the balled up wing, Marko looks over and comments, "You look pale".

Yeah, I know.

The day is a write off, including the BBQ that Ignacio has generously offered to put on for us tonight. Pack up and catch a ride down with the retrieve driver. Then back to the hotel to try to sleep this off.

By 2000 hrs, feeling better and in search of food. I've been rather careful about food and drink thus far - if it isn't cooked to the point of burnt or prepackaged (i.e. bottled water), it has been avoided. Many would complain that I am missing some of the best reasons to visit Valle (street food vendors), my answer - I have less than a week and I am here to fly. My sole interest in experiencing the area is from 3000+ meters.

Marko had recommended the sushi place in town as being safe for gringos like myself, so I give it a shot. In search of the gaijin standard fare consisting of 'teriyakichikin' and kappamaki, be I. And as is the norm it will be 'para llevar' -> food is an inconvenient necessity, not an 'experience', and thus should be overlapped with another activity when possible to minimize wasted time.

On the patio, waiting to place an order 'para llevar' (to go).

Looking inside.

The order.
Found out afterwards that one has to explicitly request wasabi.
And that white-ish mass next to the salad is ... mashed potatoes (???).
Hecho en Mexico.

Fed, call it a night.

Next morning.

Day 5. Last day.

The conditions are somewhat indeterminate today, requiring a little ad hoc flight planning en route. The plan is simple, meet at Crazy thermal, follow Marko.

Sadly, the plan and I didn't see eye to eye. A bad decision to chase a possible thermal east of El Penon put me in sink and to the 'Piano LZ' (aka bomb out) I went. Word from the others was that 'Crazy was crazy' due to rough disorganized climbs.

On the plus side, my wing would receive a proper pack job from one of the local kids. Far better job than I could ever do. A payment of 40 pesos had him running off with a smile to wave the pair of bills in the face of who I would gather to be his sister.

One significant positive from the flight: I made note of how quickly I was spotting other wings in better climbs around launch and my comfort with bee lining to capitalize upon them. In the past I would stick with my current climb, even if someone within climb had something better. Byproduct of discomfort with 'playing in traffic' I imagine.

Wing packing kids racing over to greet the pilot on landing.
Being claimed.
The massive Piano (-shaped) LZ


Pilots waiting in the shade for a retrieve ride.

Full service drink and food made to order.


Eventually I am collected by our driver and taken back to meet up with the rest of the crew who landed near Jovan - with the exception of Ignacio who finally made it back to Valle (his goal for the week).

Lunch follows in a little kitchen turned restaurant. There are no menus, you just describe what you want made. For me a simple pair of 'tortilla con queso y pollo' (basic quesadilla) and I was set.

Lunch in a kitchen.
The crew fed, back to the classroom for a course debrief. While my classmates ask for clarification on some of the more advanced topics covered, I manage to snag Marko's Oudie 4 to play with (he is a dealer for NavITer in Mexico). Needless to say by the end of the debrief, my bag got a little heavier with an Oudie 4 (and my bank account a little lighter).

With the sun setting, everyone parts ways for the far too quickly ending week. Marko provides a run back to Mexico City and waits while I order my first ever Uber to MEX (our local taxi mafia has the city politicians in their back pockets thus blocking us from joining the rest of the world in experiencing a decent ride service).

Another 'night' in the Camino Real hotel attached to the airport before getting up at 0330 hrs for a 0600 hrs flight back to YVR.

Snag a bottle of Don Julio Blanco in the duty free, hit up the Avianca Lounge, and onto AC 997 I head. Seat 1D, again.

Home.

My wife is performing at a New Years Eve event tonight, so we snag a room at the venue in Richmond.

Outside the window is a far cry from what I left less than 12 hours before.

NYE. The snow starts.

The day after.
And so ends the best week of flying I have had in years. Next stop - Brazil, March.

The crew (L to R): Marko, Enrique, Ignacio, yours truly, Alasdair, and Xiaoting.
Photo courtesy of Xiaoting Hou Jones.
Gin Explorer with the FlyinOrange.
Photo courtesy of Xiaoting Hou Jones.

No comments:

Post a Comment